Thursday, October 10, 2013

Change of Hats

 This time of year things slow down outside on the farm.  Getting a good winter garden requires quite a bit of hustle in the middle of summer, getting the plants started, finding bare ground to plant them out in, keeping them watered and weeded.  But now, in October the Brussels sprouts, cabbage, kale, chard, and overwintering broccoli and cauliflowers are growing nicely, and don't need to be weeded or watered.  We just harvest before each winter market day.

So I can take off my gardening hat and put on my weaving hat.  I often tell people that I weed in the summer and weave in the winter.  Christmas craft fairs are coming up fast and my stock is, as usual, depleted from summer sales so I need to get busy.  I've made one batch of 14 rag placemats in reds and golds
 and started on a second batch on a blue and yellow green warp.  The first ones were woven with blue fabric and i just started a set with yellow.  Then more potholders, scarves, tea towels. 


No comments:

Post a Comment