Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Things are Starting to Grow

As the rest of the country tries to dig out from under lots and lots of snow, the Pacific Northwest has been reasonably balmy for February. Sunny and quiet it's quite a change from the wind and rain earlier in the year. And my lupines are up and growing. Lupines aren't reliably hardy for me and if they do survive the winter they often succumb to some sort of disease. But I love the flowers and so do my customers. So I basically treat them as annuals. In spite of this great showing, I start new ones from seed every spring. Then if the overwintered ones die I will have new ones coming right along. If they all survive I will have LOTS of flowers. My favorite variety is called Tutti Frutti which has a lot of nice bi colored flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment