Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Imbolc, Candlemas, Groundshog's Day

We're halfway between the solstice and the equinox, the celtic first day of spring, Imbolc, or Candlemas or Groundhog's Day. You can really see the difference in the light, both the quality and the lengthening days. So I celebrated by planting two small flats of delphiniums seeds. Delphiniums germinate better if they get a period of chilling. You can do that in the refrigerator but if I plant them now I can count on several weeks of cold enough weather to let them think they've gone through a winter. After being outside for about 3 weeks I'll bring them into the greenhouse warmth.
On a wander through the garden I discovered the first shoots of rhubarb sticking their heads above the mulch. I can taste the first rhubarb crisp as I write.

No comments:

Post a Comment