Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Last Dahlias

I know this pictures is kind of blurry but there aren't any more dahlias in the patch so this is it for the year. I picked these just before the first really hard frost killed the plants. We've been enjoying them inside for several days now. I leave the tubers in the ground covered by a heavy mulch of hay, leaves, grass clippings, sawdust, whatever I can find and it works most years. If it doesn't I get to indulge myself in selecting new ones. There are so many gorgeous ones out there and I never get to grow them all.

5 comments:

  1. So beautiful. I'm not ready to say goodbye to fresh flowers at the farmer's market yet :n (

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have not had a hard enough frost to kill the dahlias yet Margaret - yours look so pretty on the table. I love them too - they are such bright, cheerful colours.
    Love your new header and wonder if this is a stretch of water you have to cross when you leave the island. I looked you up on the map and when I have finished looking at blogs tonight I am going to Google you for a better view.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's Orcas island from President's Channel looking north. It is to our left (port) as we leave the island heading for Friday Harbor. (Previous post was deleted because of a grammatical error.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Margaret - Thank you so much for the super pot holders. They came this morning. I was sure that I had your e mail address but it seems I don't so I do hope that you pick this message up.
    I am posting a picture of it on my blog in a minute, with a thank you there too. They go so well with my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete