Thursday, January 15, 2015

Weave in the Winter, Weed in the Summer

 Part of the cycle of my life here on the farm is the switching from summer work on the farm to winter work in the studio.  I weave in the winter, I weed in the summer.  So this time of year I am gearing up to make almost all of the product that I will have to sell at the Market this summer.  I work in the studio daily through about the middle of April and then keep the looms warped up so that I can periodically take a break and weave a few more inches.

I currently have 4 looms, 2 table looms and 2 floor looms.  I try to keep at least 3 of them warped all the time as I like to switch around between projects.  Each one is different and if I start to loose steam or get bored with one I can switch to another one and keep going.  I get a lot more done that way.

The picture above is one of the table looms where I am now working on the novelty yarn scarves.  I have several more warped up and ready to when this one is finished. I will tie the new warp onto the end of this one to save time and yarn.
 I am putting a warp to make crackle scarves on the 8 harness loom.  This pattern on the cover of the book above has been one that I've wanted to weave ever since I got the book years ago.  It's a complicated pattern and I want to take my time with it so it's a good one to start this time of year when I don't feel as much time pressure as I will by the end of March.
To keep track of the threading I've got a bookmark held against the threading chart so I don't loose my place.  Slow and steady is the way not to get lost in something like this.  I do love working on complicated patterns.

My big loom was warped up for more rag rugs.  I got about 5 inches woven a couple of days ago when one of the metal bars that connect the treadles to the harnesses snapped from metal fatigue.  I've had this loom for over 12 years and it was used when I got it so it has gotten lots and lots of use.  Joel has been my hero and rescuer and has spent the last 2 days taking it all apart and taking the rivets out of the metal bars and replacing them all.  Not going to wait until another one snaps.  It has been a major project but she should be good to go for another 20 years.

Of course, I had to unweave and unthread everything so the loom could be taken apart.  But the warp is still would on the warp beam so tomorrow I start rethreading the whole thing.  I hope to be back in the weaving in a coupe of days.

1 comment:

  1. I knew the moment I met you both that you were patient people - now I know it to be true.

    ReplyDelete