Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Precious Bane

I just finished reading this book and I loved it. It is a special book. It was written in 1924 taking place in rural Shropshire, England about 100 years earlier. The author's descriptions of the rural landscape of the early19th century and of the plants and animals therein are so beautiful It also has a good plot, believable characters and is generally a good read. But it is more than that. It may speak to me especially as the author and her husband were themselves market gardeners and one of the characters is a weaver (it was originally recommended to me by a weaver on one of my weaving lists). Prue Sarn, the main character, says about sowing their wheat crop "swinging out our arms with a great giving movement, as if we were feeding the world." It just struck a chord at this time of year as we, too, begin our planting.

It's hard to find. I couldn't get it through ILL but found a copy through ABE books.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you enjoyed Precious Bane, Margaret - it used to be my mother's favourite book - I love it too.

    ReplyDelete