Monday, September 19, 2011

Drying Time

Every year we dedicate one of our 3 hoophouses as a drying shed. Here we spread out the onions, garlic, dry bean plants and any seed crops. This year Joel is growing seed from purple sprouting broccoli and Purple Cape broccoli.
A new dry bean for us this year is white cannellinis. Last year we had trouble getting these to germinate in the cold wet soil so we saved the seed from the few that did survive hoping to breed some cold soil resistance into them. It was cold and wet this year again and we got a good crop so maybe it is working. The best reason for saving your own seed is that you end up breeding strains that work really well in your garden, in your microclimate.

Now that I will have these beans to cook with I have to expand my bean cooking repertoire. I make great chili and taco beans but want to learn to make baked beans. I love my chili but I am sort of stuck in a rut.

4 comments:

  1. What a clever idea to save the seed hoping to breed some lolcal resistance into it - I would never have thought of that.

    Glad you like y whisky recipe.
    Sorry but I can't pass on any bean recipes - we do not eat many here in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh I love cannellinis, there's lots of great Italian recipes that call for them in soups and pastas. I'll try and track some down for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a great recipe for a white bean cassoulet. I'll try to dig it up for you. It's my daughter's favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eagerly awaiting recipes. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete