Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Apple Butter

Last night I finished up a batch of apple butter. I used some leftover Crimson Gravensteins, Kings and our Apple Pie apples, made up a bunch of applesauce, added sugar and spices and left it to simmer away on the back of the wood stove all day long until it was thick and deep brown. I love being able to cook it long and slow that way. One of the virtues of a wood range. We had some from a jar that I didn't have room for in the canner on toast for breakfast this morning and it is wonderful.

3 comments:

  1. I love the sound of apple butter - how do you make it? It is not something I have heard of here, so would love the recipe, please. I do enjoy your stories of life on the farm - good husbandry we would call it here - but often I find it impossible to get on to your comments page. But I always read your blog with enjoyment. Have found you on the map!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking for a source to buy very thick
    black apple butter. It definitely is not
    apple sauce butter. Its color is very black.
    Its texture maybe as thick as peanut butter.

    Sincerely, Gerald (Jerry) Landis, 681 Sabal
    Palm Circle, Altamonte Springs, Fl. 32701

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jerry, you might try Bauman's apple butter
    http://www.baumanfamily.com/products/apple_butter.shtml It sounds like it is really thick and dark. Basically all apple butter is going to be made from applesauce which is just pureed apples. It gets thick and dark from long cooking which concentrates it a lot. That's why I like to let mine simmer on the back of the stove for a couple of days.

    ReplyDelete