Thursday, October 23, 2008

Apple Recipes

I've had a request in the Comments for my Apple Butter recipe. So I thought I'd put it here as it would be easier for everyone to see. This recipe comes from an old canning manual of my Mom's that came with canning jars. I have several editions of them going back to 1949.

Apple Butter
Core and slice apples but do not peel. Cook until soft and run through a sieve.
16 cups apple pulp
8 cups sugar
1 cup vinegar (I use apple cider vinegar)
4 tsps. cinnamon

The recipe says to boil for an hour and a half, I let it simmer on the back of the stove all day. When it is nice and thick put into pint jars and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

Here's another family favorite from the same source. This recipe was deleted from later editions of the manuals so I make a point of passing it on. It is best made with tart apples. I use our Apple Pie apples. It is great with roast lamb or mutton or beef or pork or just on a spoon. I love this stuff.

Apple Catsup
Prepare apples as above. To each quart of applesauce add:
1 cup sugar
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp dried mustard
2 tsps cinnamon
1 Tbsp salt
2 chopped onions
2 cups cider vinegar

Cook until thick, the recipe says half an hour, this isn't as thick as apple butter. Put into pint or half pint jars and process for 10 minutes.

Both of these recipes are a great way to use up a bumper crop of apples and I discovered them years ago when faced with just such a dilemma.

No comments:

Post a Comment