Thursday, April 9, 2009

Homemade Tortillas

One of my favorite meals is homemade tortillas served with lots of chopped vegetables and beans made into a bean paste. Trouble is that it is a lot of work for just the two of us so I relish the opportunity to have people over to dinner. Somehow cooking for the 6 we had tonight makes it feel worthwhile. My daughter and her family came over for my special taco dinner.

The tortillas are made from half masa harina and half white flour, and water and then rolled out with a rolling pin and cut using an 8" pot lid as a cutter. 2 cups of each and 2 cups of water made 15 tortillas. They are then quickly cooked in a hot frying pan with a little oil. I keep them in my gorgeous tortilla keeper that my daughter gave me for a Christmas present many years ago. It is probably my favorite piece of china. I love the peppers on it.

The beans are just red Mexican beans cooked till soft and mashed into a paste with garlic, cumin, chili powder and Mexican oregano, lippia graveolens, a relative of lemon verbena, not a member of the oregano family. Spread the beans on the tortillas and top with cheese, onion, tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, olives and salsa.

1 comment: